Heartstone Retreat

At the end of March, I attended and presented a talk at the Environment Virginia Symposium in Lexington. Instead of staying at a generic chain hotel, I opted for the Heartstone Retreat in nearby Buena Vista. I stayed in the Creamery Studio, an efficiency cottage right next to the barn that has been converted to an event space.


The cottage had everything I needed - a super comfy bed, a small kitchen where I could prepare simple meals, a little dining area, sitting area, bathroom with hot shower. 

I explored the "barn" next door. The first floor is a big open space with tables and chairs as well as comfy couches, a fireplace, and a piano. There's also a catering kitchen. On the second level are a few bedrooms and another big common area with couches, a projector, a coffee station, and a balcony. On the top floor there's a bunk area with a bunch of single beds. This place would be perfect for a songwriters' retreat... 


I decided to play a song on the piano, and made a video using photos taken on and around the property.


The property is peaceful and bucolic, and feels remote, but is less than a 10-minute drive into downtown Lexington. 


Just a short walk down the hill, you can get on the Chessie Nature Trail for a stroll or a bike ride.


I stayed an extra night after the conference had ended, so I had time on Friday to hike the trail past some cabins and up to a hilltop that had various sculptures installed.

I definitely intend to go back to this place. Maybe I'll rent one of the cabins next time. And I'll definitely bring my bike.

*****
Would you like to join my mailing list? Click here!


Comments

Popular Posts