Solo weekend: Redbeard and Wisteria

Since I quit my job at the end of last summer, I want to play music out as much as possible. Sometimes that means taking the occasional solo gig. This weekend, I ventured out west on my own for two gigs and camping.

Betty the band van is out of commission (again, and perhaps for good). So I packed up my Honda Fit. Between the camping gear and the music gear and some food and clothes, my car was pretty much maxed out.

And I didn't even bring a tent! On Thursday I had checked the weather forecast (rainy, windy, and night temperatures down into the 30s), and upgraded my tent site at Walnut Hills Campground to a camping cabin. I weighed my comfort against cost, and comfort won. This is one of those decisions in life that I felt really good about! 

The cabin was cute and cozy, just one room but with bunk space enough for 4-5 people if they really like each other a LOT. It had an overhead light, a mini fridge, and a space heater, but no other amenities inside. I cooked breakfasts on my camp stove, and toilets and showers were available in the bathhouse next door.



My first gig of the weekend, Friday night, was at Redbeard Brewing Company in Staunton. This was a "late night" gig for me -- 9 till 11 pm! Usually I play afternoons or early evenings. But I was actually pretty happy about the late start time because I didn't leave home till after 3 and still had plenty of time to get checked into my cabin, have dinner in town, and then leisurely set up at the venue.




There was a pretty good crowd there, and I felt appreciated even though I knew people were also watching the basketball game on the big screen behind me. One guy came up and said he really enjoyed the song selection, especially the Jayhawks and Old '97s covers I did. I chatted at length with a couple from Maryland during my break and after the last song, and the husband helped me load out my gear which was an extra bonus!

The next morning (not too early!) I went for a walk around the entire campground, despite the light rain. It's mainly an RV park dominated by big rigs. I generally avoid these types of campgrounds, but the location was good (just 15 minutes from downtown Staunton), and the tent sites and camping cabins were set apart from the RVs to provide a more peaceful, closer-to-nature atmosphere. I would stay there again.

Back at my cabin, I did my little yoga routine indoors, then cooked breakfast out on the porch.


When I set out for my Saturday afternoon gig, at Wisteria Farm & Vineyards, I plugged the "no highways" option into the GPS. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive past fields of vibrant green and yellow, redbuds and maples blooming, placid cows grazing, rustic barns and silos, surrounded by mountains all around. Alas, I can't take pictures while driving! 

At this point the day was pretty warm and sunny, albeit blustery. There was a high wind advisory in effect. If it hadn't been for the wind I probably would have set up out on the lawn under the trees, but instead I was in the "crushpad" room where they crush the grapes in the fall. It's an inviting space, and the acoustics are good. They put the garage doors up so the room was open to the outside, but still sheltered from the wind (and later, from some drizzle).


A friendly cat came over while I was setting up, so naturally I had to scoop her up for a cuddle.


After that, a chicken came by to inspect the operation. She had no interest in cuddling, though.


At one point, in the middle of a song, my audience and I witnessed a different chicken being chased by a dog. White feathers were flying! Luckily, someone managed to constrain the dog before the chicken was hurt. And then I continued my song from where I had left off. (I swear I'm not making this up.)

After leaving Wisteria, I went to the Elkton Brewing Co. for a beer (nitro porter - yum!) and to catch someone else's live music. The guy playing sounded great. It's a good room to play and I hope we'll get a chance to play there too.


I recently established a goal of covering 15 miles a week on foot, bike, or kayak. I was a little under a mile shy of my goal, so after leaving the brewery I walked around the small town a bit to wrap it up. I took the opportunity to snap some more pictures as well.





I had dinner in Staunton again -- I know, really roughing it on this hardcore camping weekend! Pizza was calling, I answered, and it was delicious. I got the topping that Dacey would hate the most: anchovies! I was back in the cabin, snuggled in my sleeping bag, by 10 pm, about the same time I was finishing the first of two sets of music the night before. I didn't care. I was tired. Needless to say, I woke up around 5:30 the next morning.

On Sunday I had no obligations. After breakfast I finally got to chill in my hammock, while sipping tea and perusing the AllTrails app on my phone. 


I chose a trail about 25 minutes away in St. Mary's Wilderness. I got to the trailhead a little after 9 am, and had the trail to myself for the entire 4 miles (2 in, 2 back). I'm kinda out of shape these days and I felt it! The trail kicked my butt a bit, and it was good for me.


One of only a few places along the trail where you can catch a view.

I'm always impressed by trees growing out of rocks.

These pretty little flowers (trailing arbutus, I believe) are about the size of my pinky fingernail, and grow along the ground.

Acorns taking root, striving for treedom.


*****
Would you like to join my mailing list? Click here!


Comments

Popular Posts